Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jak food


I was down in Jakarta a couple of weeks back for a shoot. Was collecting clips for a documentary on someone's life that I'm producing. It's been a good 20 years since I last set foot on the capital of Indonesia. It's been too long to be able to compare how it was before but the one thing that struck me was the food!

The best street side food that is shelved neatly in the yummy food department of my brain is something they call Martabak. Looks exactly the same as the Peanut Pancake ("Mee Chiam Kway") that they have in Singapore, but once you let your teeth sink in to one of these... you know it's ooooh so different. ;P I think it comes in three standard versions: egg, cheese or rice chocolate. But hey, if you know you don't have the time, have the vendor arrange all three neatly tiered on one pancake!

No comments: