Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Story of Religious Education

The topic was the Church Today, and I decided to share with a class of nine year olds a little bit from The Story of Stuff which I had posted awhile back.  I hesitated a little as there were some pretty big words used in the video like "Planned Obsolescence" and "Perceived Obsolescence". Words even I don't know.  But what was really neat was that they got the message!  A couple of questions from them, especially from the ones who get bored easily, cleared doubts.  

It got me thinking what engages the young ones?  And it got me thinking about the manuals we use to teach from... are they truly effective?  For one, the manuals we have here for religious education are from the US.  It's really good stuff, but culturally, what might attract the children there may not captivate the kids here.  Yes, it's been the back of my mind for a long time.  But writing out a whole syllabus requires a lot! Right now, we just trust that God's guiding us to sow the right seeds and that He'll take care of the blossoming in Hs time!

If you missed the last post (on a previous blog) on this and are interested in The Story of Stuff which gives a bird's eye view on our consumption in the environment, click here http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html.

No comments: